I recently joined the editorial board of Plant Ecology & Diversity at the invitation of editor-in-chief Laszlo Nagy (University of Campinas, Brazil). The journal focuses on ecological and evolutionary issues within plant biology with broad themes covering biodiversity, conservation and global change. Furthermore, I think this is a particularly interesting journal to be involved with because of its option for double-blind peer reviews, commitment to providing a platform for ‘negative results’ and ‘repeat experiments’, and its open access Grubb Review series (Nagy & Resco de Dios, 2016); which already includes many significant articles, including: Ashton (2017), Barbeta & Peñuelas (2016), Grubb (2016), Körner (2018), Valladares et al. (2016), and Wilkinson & Sherratt (2016). In addition to the invited Grubb Reviews the journal publishes: research articles, short communications, reviews, and scientific correspondence. My role on the editorial board will be to cover submissions related to tropical palaeoecology and biogeography. So please consider submitting to Plant Ecology & Diversity if you have some exciting new research or ideas that you think would be appropriate.
- Ashton, P.S. (2017) Patterns of variation among forests of tropical Asian mountains, with some explanatory hypotheses. Plant Ecology & Diversity 10, 361-377. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2018.1429028
- Barbeta, A. & Peñuelas, J. (2016) Sequence of plant responses to droughts of different timescales: Lessons from holm oak (Quercus ilex) forests. Plant Ecology & Diversity 9, 321-338. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2016.1212288
- Grubb, P.J. (2016) Trade-offs in interspecific comparisons in plant ecology and how plants overcome proposed constraints. Plant Ecology & Diversity 9, 3-33. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2015.1048761
- Nagy, L. & Resco de Dios, V. (2016) Announcing the Grubb Reviews. Plant Ecology & Diversity 9, 1-1. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2016.1175210
- Körner, C. (2018) Concepts in empirical plant ecology. Plant Ecology & Diversity 1-24. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2018.1540021
- Valladares, F., Laanisto, L., Niinemets, Ü. & Zavala, M.A. (2016) Shedding light on shade: Ecological perspectives of understorey plant life. Plant Ecology & Diversity 9, 237-251. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2016.1210262
- Wilkinson, D.M. & Sherratt, T.N. (2016) Why is the world green? The interactions of top–down and bottom–up processes in terrestrial vegetation ecology. Plant Ecology & Diversity 9, 127-140. DOI: 10.1080/17550874.2016.1178353